This year’s plenary session will feature Dave Obee. The title of the session is “Researching in Eastern Europe Today.” Dave is a Past-President of FEEFHS and has valuable information to help us with our research. In getting to know Dave Obee, here are a few fun facts:
- Dave has worked as a journalist since 1972.
- In 2012, the University of Victoria awarded Dave an honorary doctorate of laws for his tireless work as a historian, genealogist, and journalist.
- Dave has visited 17 countries in Europe, doing genealogical research in most of them.
- Dave is Editor-in-Chief of the Times Colonist in Victoria, British Columbia.
- Dave writes the back page column for both Internet Genealogy or Your Genealogy Today magazines (formerly Family Chronicle).
- Dave is passionate about school libraries and other literacy projects and was one of the founders of the annual Times Colonist book drive.
- In 2014, Dave was presented with the Governor General’s Caring Canadian award for his work as a community volunteer.
- In May 2006, Dave had the opportunity to present Shirley Douglas (Canadian film and stage actress and activist) with a published copy of her family history at the official launch of Ancestry.ca.
This year, in addition to the plenary session keynote, Dave will be teaching three classes: 1) Germans of Russia Case Study, 2) The 1930’s: Stalin’s Arrest Files, and 3) The 1940’s: Forced from Their Homes.
Dave’s classes are not to be missed. Please come join us August 8-12, 2016 at the Plaza Hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.